BBC Reinvents Content Approach: Starts with audio
BBC has been in discussion internally to reach a new and younger generation. That process has led BBC to the release of BBC Sounds, the first version of BBC’s new audio app. The app brings together the BBC’s live and on demand radio, music, and podcasts into a single personalized app. The company believes this is the smartest move to reach that new generation as trends are showing increases in audio listening. The podcasting industry itself, grew over 84% year over year (Edison research).
BBC Sounds will provide every user with a unique experience because it is designed to learn from an individual user’s listening habits. It will provide one-tap access to the latest episodes of your favorite BBC podcasts and radio shows.
The app with introduce you to new audio you wouldn’t have otherwise discovered from the 80,000 hours of BBC audio.
What You Can Do With BBC Sounds:
- Scroll the dial and listen to any of the BBC’s 18 national stations (and online-only station CBeebies Radio) or tap All Stations to listen to any of the BBC’s 40 local stations
- Pick up where you left off with “Continue Listening” which surfaces part-listened podcasts and radio shows and next episodes for you
- Enjoy hand picked collections of podcasts and on demand music shows to match your mood
- Discover new audio via the “Recommended For You” section
- Browse by category: from Crime to Science & Technology, from Classical to Hip Hop
- Add any individual episode or clip to “My List” to listen to later
- Subscribe to any podcast or program and get a personalized feed of the latest episodes in “My Sounds”
BBC is just the latest media company to validate the power of audio through podcasts and on-demand listening. Consumers, more than ever, expect to have content available to them 24/7 so they can listen on their terms. The biggest difference from the previous television generation? This younger generation is always on the go and always multi-tasking. Audio can be consumed while performing other tasks, making it the perfect avenue to reach the next generation of consumers.